Hungry? Care to have 5,000 of something ? Try this Fried Rice recipe with all your favourite veggies..!!
Vegetable Fried Rice
- Rice- 1½ cup
- Ginger-garlic paste- 1 tsp
- Finely chopped Onion- 2 medium sized
- Finely chopped Capsicum- ½ cup
- Finely chopped carrots- ½ cup
- Finely chopped beans- ½ cup
- Finely sliced Baby Corn- ½ cup
- Sweet Corn kernels- 1 cup
- Green Peas- ½ cup
- Oil- 1 tsp
- Vegetable Stock cube (Maggi)- 1 cube
- Soya sauce- 1 tbsp
- Pepper- 1 tbsp
Cook the rice in about 3 to 4 cups of water for 15 to 20 mins. Add quarter tsp of salt. Once the rice is cooked, set it aside to cool.
In a non-stick pot, heat 1 tsp of oil. Once the oil is hot, add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté for 10 seconds on high heat till the raw smell disappears. Add the finely sliced baby corn; allow it to cook for about 10 mins.
Simulataeneously, in a separate vessel, boil both green peas and sweet corn kernels with a pinch of salt. Once it is cooked, drain the green peas and sweet corn and set it aside.
Once the baby corn is partly cooked, add the finely chopped beans and carrots. Saute for about 2 mins. Add in the cooked green peas and sweet corn. Then, add the finely chopped capsicum and onions. Add in the vegetable stock cube and season with pepper. Add a tablespoon of soya sauce.
Add the cooked rice and mix well. Garnish with finely chopped spring onion (optional) and serve along with some Cauliflower or mushroom manchurian.
Tip: Fried rice must always be cooked on high flame to help retain the crunchiness of the vegetables. Squeeze ½ lemon or add salt to avoid the rice from getting mushy. A wok is the most appropriate vessel to make fried rice; alternatively use a pot. Couple the vegetable fried rice with some cauliflower (gobi) or mushroon Manchurian.
August 3- My husband’s birthday.
It was the first time we were together in one place for his birthday, and so, I decided to surprise him with a small family get-together. Amidst all the tension of a successful surprise, happy guests, smiling faces, balloons and a wonderful evening, I managed to COOK. Sure to be a family favorite, I decided to serve Chilli Fish as one of the items on his special day.
Gather round the dining table and feed your family with this fresh, home-cooked dish that serves around four or more. Here is an easy version of this recipe.
- Fish Cubes – 500 gms
- Maida (plain flour) – 4 tbsp
- Cornflour – 4 tbsp
- Green chilli – 3 or 4
- Soya sauce – 2tsp
- Ketchup- 2 tsp
- Spring onion – 3 tsp
- Capsicum – 1 small
- Ginger garlic paste – 3 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 2 tbsp
- Pepper powder – ½ teaspoon
- Egg – 1
- Salt – to taste
- Marinate the fish cubes with maida, cornflour, ginger garlic paste, pepper powder, chilli powder, salt & egg.
- Keep the marinated mixture for 20-30 mins and thereafter, deep-fry the fish pieces.
- In a separate pan, heat some oil.
- Add garlic- ginger paste, green chilli, capsicum.
- After that add the fish pieces.
- Add soya sauce, tomato ketchup & stir. Add some water, if required.
- Garnish with spring onions.
In my attempt to have a healthy, nutritious meal with my family, here is a simple one-pot dinner recipe.
- 900 g diced chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 cup couscous
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) boiling water
- 1 finely chopped capsicum
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced cabbage
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 thin sliced onion
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh coriander
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Marinate chicken pieces in the spices, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook till its about half done.
- Add onion, garlic, veggies and chicken stock. Cover and cook for 25 mins until the chicken is tender.
- Add the couscous. Stir and cook till the liquid absorbed.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
I thought a lot about what to cook for dinner. Something sumptuous and filling Mr. A loves spice. I am finally thinking of trying some creamy spicy sausage macaroni.
Creamy Spicy Sausage Macaroni
- Macaroni- 500 gms
- Tomato sauce- 1 or 2 tablespoon
- Olive oil
- Chopped Capsicum- 1 cup
- Chopped Onions- 1 cup
- Grated Carrots- 1 cup
- Garlic- 4 or 5 cloves
- Chilli powder/ chilli flakes- 1 tablespoon
- Chicken Stock- 2 cubes
- Chicken or sausages- 1 cup
- Grated Parmesan- as per taste
For the Sauce
- Flour- 1 and half tablespoon
- Butter- 2 tablespoons
- Milk- 2 cups
- Cheese- 1 cup
- Pepper- 2 tablespoons
- Chicken stock- 1 cube
- For the sauce, melt butter and add the flour. Try to avoid lumps. Add milk, chicken stock and stir constantly to avoid lumps. Add grated cheese and pepper.
- Boil the macaroni in water, 2 tablespoons of oil and chicken stock. Drain the water and keep aside.
- Put olive oil in a pan and saute the onions, garlic, grated carrots and chopped capsicum.
- Add Chilli powder, sausages and salt.
- Pour in the white sauce, add macaroni and mix well.
- Allow to simmer with the lid off for about 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Take off the heat and check and adjust the seasoning.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese.
- Spicy creamy sausage macaroni is ready to be served.