“Frittatas” are usually an oven-baked dish, but I discovered that there is an easy way to make Frittatas without having to use my oven. Simply cook it on a pan on medium-low heat with a lid on. This got me excited about making Frittatas, a heavy breakfast dish; and you can easily skip your lunch..!
Easy Pan-Frittata with Cheddar and Veggies
- Egg- 6
- Milk- ½ cup
- Finely chopped capsicum- ½ cup
- Sweet Corn kernels – ½ cup
- Finely chopped green chilli- 1 tbsp
- Finely chopped spring onion- ½ cup
- Grated Cheddar Cheese- ½ cup
- Parmesan- ¼ cup
- Ground meat- 1 cup
- Chilli flakes- 1 tbsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Pepper- as per taste
Cook the ground meat in a skillet over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until it is brown. Season with salt and pepper. When the meat is cooked, remove it from the pan, drain on paper towels to remove excess fat. Set aside the mixture to cool.
Simultaneously, in a separate vessel, cook the sweet corn kernels for 15 mins and keep aside.
In a glass or ceramic mixing bowl, thoroughly beat the eggs. Add the milk and stir until combined well. Now, season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add the cooked meat, chopped capsicum, green chilli, spring onion, sweet corn kernels and chilli flakes into the mixing bowl. Add cheddar and Parmesan cheese and stir the entire mixture well.
Pour the entire mixture into a non-stick pan, cover and cook over medium-low heat for about 10 to 15 minutes. The final product would look and feel like a
Slice and Serve. Enjoy a sumptuous and nutritious breakfast.
Tip: 1. Use a fork to check if the egg mixture has cooked.
2. Getting the Frittata out of the pan without breaking it would be a challenge as the weight of the whole dish is considerable. Take a spatula and slowly run it across the edges / circumference of the pan. Use caution and dexterity to slowly slide it into a plate.
Are you craving some baked and bubbly cheese and meat? Here is a quick recipe for some simple Italian food with a spicy twist, using ingredients that are easily available in your kitchen. This low-carb recipe makes for about 10 to 12 Rollatini, happily serving your family a meal or an entrée for a party. This is a dish that has made quite a few guests go “Wow!”
- 1 Egg plant- Thinly sliced, lengthwise
- Extra virgin Olive oil- 1 or 2 tbsp
- Minced meat (or Italian sausage)- 2 cups
- Pickled Jalapeno slices- ½ cup
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cream cheese
- Parsley- for garnish
- Spicy Marinara sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
Slice the eggplant lengthwise (quarter inch thickness), to about 10 to 12 slices. Lightly salt the slices and leave it aside for about 10 mins. Remove the excess moisture released from the slices with a tissue paper. Once the eggplant slices are pat dried, brush or spray some olive oil on both sides, season with salt and grill both sides for about 10 mins. Remove the grilled slices and keep it aside to cool.
Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
In a medium skillet, heat some olive oil to brown the minced meat, for about 5 minutes on medium heat or until it is cooked. In case of using a sausage, use a wooden spoon to break it up as it cooks. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the meat into a bowl. Once it cools, mix in the cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese and some chopped jalapeno.
Take a baking dish and create a base using the spicy marinara sauce. Roll up a grilled eggplant slice by placing a heaping tablespoon of the meat and jalapeno filling in the center; repeat the process to form 10 to 12 rolls. Place the rolls in rows, seam-side down into a baking dish. Put a teaspoon of marinara sauce on each roll. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese on the rolls. Place a slice of jalapeno on each roll. Bake for around 20 minutes; until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.
Garnish with some parsley and serve.
Please Note: The Rollatini is a dish that is slightly on the heavier side. If you are planning this as a part of the menu, then make sure that the other dishes are chosen accordingly.
Preparing this dish can get slightly messy as the egg-plant and cheese need to hold up together.
Egg-plant can be replaced by Zucchini for those of you who are looking for other options.
Make sure that the dish is served and consumed while it is hot. On cooling, the cheese may harden and reduce the “burst-of-flavour” impact that it usually has.
I thought a lot about what to cook for dinner. Something sumptuous and filling Mr. A loves spice. I am finally thinking of trying some creamy spicy sausage macaroni.
Creamy Spicy Sausage Macaroni
- Macaroni- 500 gms
- Tomato sauce- 1 or 2 tablespoon
- Olive oil
- Chopped Capsicum- 1 cup
- Chopped Onions- 1 cup
- Grated Carrots- 1 cup
- Garlic- 4 or 5 cloves
- Chilli powder/ chilli flakes- 1 tablespoon
- Chicken Stock- 2 cubes
- Chicken or sausages- 1 cup
- Grated Parmesan- as per taste
For the Sauce
- Flour- 1 and half tablespoon
- Butter- 2 tablespoons
- Milk- 2 cups
- Cheese- 1 cup
- Pepper- 2 tablespoons
- Chicken stock- 1 cube
- For the sauce, melt butter and add the flour. Try to avoid lumps. Add milk, chicken stock and stir constantly to avoid lumps. Add grated cheese and pepper.
- Boil the macaroni in water, 2 tablespoons of oil and chicken stock. Drain the water and keep aside.
- Put olive oil in a pan and saute the onions, garlic, grated carrots and chopped capsicum.
- Add Chilli powder, sausages and salt.
- Pour in the white sauce, add macaroni and mix well.
- Allow to simmer with the lid off for about 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Take off the heat and check and adjust the seasoning.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese.
- Spicy creamy sausage macaroni is ready to be served.