Chicken skewers can be really delicious when marinated and grilled right and this Thai Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce is a perfect example. Thai food has always been an inspiration for many cooks due to the number of distinct flavors that are involved in every dish. The balance of spice, sweet, bitter/sour is phenomenal. That explosion of flavor in your mouth is what makes Thai cuisine what it is.
Serve the Thai Chicken Satay with a side dip of Peanut Sauce for a flavorful experience.
Please Note that the Peanut Sauce can be used as a dip for a variety of dishes. Use this Peanut sauce recipe for a flavor that you have never tasted before. This sauce just makes everything taste so much better. .!!
Thai Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
- 500 grams Boneless chicken thighs cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 pieces Lemongrass stalks only bottom 8 inches (discard outer layer) and stalk cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 buds Shallots chopped
- 2 large buds Garlic cloves
- ⅓ cup Light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
- ¾ tbsp Cumin powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Asian fish sauce
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Canola oil plus more for grilling
- 1 cup Roasted peanuts- 1 cup
- ½ cup Shallots- ½ cup
- 2 buds Garlic chopped
- 1 piece Lemongrass stalk only bottom 8 inches (discard outer layer) and cut stalk into 2-inch lengths
- 2 buds Green Chilli chopped
- 1 tbsp Ginger chopped
- ¼ cup Unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tbsp Brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp Asian fish sauce
- ½ tbsp Soy sauce
- ½ tbsp Crushed red pepper
- ¼ cup Canola oil
- ¼ cup Water
Marinating and Threading the Chicken
- In a food processor, add lemongrass, shallots, garlic, brown sugar, coriander, cumin, turmeric, fish sauce, salt and the 2 tablespoons of canola oil. Combine and make a paste.
- Transfer the marinade into a large bowl. Add the chicken thigh pieces and gently toss in the marinade to coat each piece. Take a couple of skewers, thread the chicken pieces into the skewers. Refrigerate and marinate for around 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat the canola oil. Saute the chopped shallots, garlic, lemongrass, green chili and ginger over medium heat, until the aroma comes out and the mixture is browned. This may take about 10 minutes.
- Scrape the mixture into a blender. Add all of the remaining ingredients along with ¼ cup of water and process to a smooth paste. This prepares our accompaniment with the Chicken Satay.
- Scrape the peanut paste back into the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until very thick and the fat separates, about 20 minutes. The peanut sauce will turn a deeper shade of brown. Switch off the flame and keep aside.
- Grill the marinated chicken skewers over medium high heat, turning at intervals, until slightly charred, approximately 10 to 12 minutes.
- Serve with the Peanut sauce and Enjoy!
- Tip: Peanut sauce can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. Add some water and warm again before serving to loosen the sauce.